This sample is made with cotton rag paper, paint, machine embroidery and black ink. Some of the lines are drawn, the majority are stitched. My favourite area of the work is right hand side where there is more space and the lines look as though they are dancing.
I am also enjoying the different surface textures in the 3d paint I am using with the stitch and paper. This sample includes puff binder, which is a fascinating material to add in. The sewing machine is not too keen on it and blunts the needle quickly.
From the small samples made, I have started to work on a larger piece. My aim is to make three large pieces (70x50cm). I had intended to make floor to ceiling pieces but given the lack of time and space due to Covid-19, I have had to scale back slightly. I'm fine with this as I wasn't keen on deferring for a year as I feel I am ready to move on and develop my work with a renewed focus. I have found that although it is tricky fitting in my work around all the other things going on at the moment, the method of little and often is working well. I also find that I am much calmer and more centred when I am making so it wasn't really an option for me to stop.
Further detail images of sample above. Below is the larger piece in progress.